Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Reading the Book Part II . . . The Sequel

I'm much more inclined to read shorter blog posts than longer ones.  Hence I try to break up bigger posts into smaller ones.  Which brings us to this post--the second part of a second part of a three part post that in my original vision was just one post.  Think Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II.

So here are some books that are helpful for the ins and outs of interpreting the Bible.  Earlier I mentioned Graeme Goldsworthy's According to Plan as a good place to see how the whole Bible fits together.  In terms of method I cut my teeth on Duvall's and Hays' Grasping God's Word:  A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible back in my freshman year of college.  A more well-known book that does much the same thing is Fee's and Stewart's Reading the Bible for All It's Worth (apparently these types of books have to be written by two people).

A couple of books on the doctrine of Scripture that I have not read but would love to get my hands on (insert metaphorical wink suggesting that someone should buy them for me) are Timothy Ward's Words of Life:  Scripture as the Living and Active Word of God and John Frame's The Doctrine of the Word of God.

Finally, I want to spread the word about David Helm's new book One to One Bible Reading.  Dave is one of my pastors, and so I was privileged to get a copy as soon as it came out last week.  The book is a very short guide to reading the Bible with another person in an evangelistic or discipleship context.  I plan on reading it within the next few weeks with a full review to follow, but for now consider his COMA method that can equally work in personal reading as well as reading with another person:  (1) Context, (2) Observation, (3) Meaning, and (4) Application.

No comments:

Post a Comment