Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Dangers of Reading

Someone has quipped that people of the Book should be people of books.  In other words, since Christians are converted and built up into holiness by God's Word it follows that Christians (and I'd say especially pastors) should be careful and consistent readers of books in general.  Or, as Paul said in 2 Timothy 4:13, "When you come, bring . . . also the books, and above all the parchments."

However, in my own experience books pose four particular dangers.

(1) The danger of the stumbling block.  Some books are utter trash and should not be read.  They delight in sin and have no redeemable value in terms of common grace, cultural engagement, practicing discernment, or learning much (for an explanation of these terms see yesterday's post).  The only conceivable result in reading these kinds of books is to be led into sin.

(2) The danger of the page-turner.  I am particularly susceptible to this danger.  Some books are so thrilling and engaging that I can't put them down.  Earlier this year I read through The Hunger Games trilogy in just a few days.  The story so gripped me that at times I neglected my family.  To try to get my son to play by himself so I can have uninterrupted reading is a horrible failing as a father.

(3) The danger of the study.  This one is specifically directed at pastors.  Gospel ministry necessarily involves a lot of book work from seminary to sermon preparation to lifelong growth in ministry skills.  But gospel ministry is also all about people, and if the pastor neglects evangelism and personal discipleship of God's people than something has gone wrong.

(4) The danger of self-righteousness.  One of the first things I do when I visit someone's office or living room is examine the bookshelves.  Part of this habit is mere curiosity.  I like books and so my eyes naturally gravitate to the library.  But in all honesty I'm also making judgments about the owner of books.  If the offerings don't impress me then I naturally have unfair thoughts about the person.  This is snobbery in the highest.  I'm saying in my heart, "I'm a better person than you because I read more books and better books."  In other words, I've identified my value and worth (as well as the other person's value and worth) in my own sense of accomplishments.  This is nothing but self-righteousness.  The gospel says that my value and worth in God's eyes (the only eyes that matter) are completely unearned.  I'm nothing but a sinner and I've been saved by nothing but God's free grace in Jesus Christ.

Let us keep sending for the books and parchments.  Let us also be always mindful of these dangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment