Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Great Time to be Stuck in Traffic

Following yesterday's post I'd like to mention one more anecdote about The Trellis and the Vine.  A few weeks ago I had the extreme pleasure of picking up Colin Marshall, one of the book's authors, from O'Hare Airport after his flight from Sydney.  Click here to find out more about him.

Besides waiting for 30 minutes in the wrong terminal (wouldn't you have gone to the international terminal if you were picking up someone arriving from Australia?) I finally met up with Colin and had a delightful time as we made our way in Chicago rush hour traffic on the extreme northwest side of the city to the south side of the city.  Colin was in town for the Gospel Coalition National Conference to conduct a breakout session with his coauthor Tony Payne.  Luckily he also worked into his schedule a visit to our church's intern meeting the Monday before the conference convened.


At the meeting Colin gave some counsel which I don't think I'll ever forget.  He was speaking about the ministry being vine work (i.e. people work), yet people can be exhausting.  Therefore, and I think I'm quoting him pretty closely, "We have to pray that God gives us a greater capacity for people."  This, I think, is essentially the point of The Trellis and the Vine.

May the Lord give all disciple makers greater capacity for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment