Friday, May 13, 2011

Dikembe Mutombo in my brain

In his long NBA career from 1991 to 2009 Dikembe Mutombo (and let me parenthetically pause to cite his full name for the simple pleasure of it:  Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo) collected 3,256 blocks.  Only his contemporary Hakeem Olajuwon has more total career blocks, though for whatever reason in my memory Mutombo stands out as the dominant shot blocker of his era.  Maybe it was his finger wagging or the shameless, brilliant catch phrase, "Not in the house of Mutombo!"

Since his retirement Mutombo has learned to separate his spirit from his body.  His spirit now haunts me.  He has entered my brain and swats my potential blog posts into the stands.  Yes, the point of all this sports trivia is to bring me to the point of this post:  writer's block.

At this year's Band of Bloggers conference, held in conjunction with the Gospel Coalition National Conference back in April, one of the speakers (can't remember who) said that the way to build up readership for your blog is to post everyday and even several times a day.  And I can personally testify to this.  There are plenty of blogs about topics of interest to me, but the ones I follow are those that give me daily reading.

This blog is ostensibly about books and reading.  But I can't post a book review everyday because I don't finish a book everyday.  Some days I just can't think of anything to say.  The spirit of a 7 foot 2 inch Congolese man is wagging his finger, taunting me, "Not in the house of Mutombo."

That's where I need your help my faithful readers.  What should I post about (within the set limits of course)?  I need you to help me do this.

1 comment:

  1. In the book about writing that I'm currently reading, the author suggests some tricks for getting the juices flowing, which includes describing some object within your view - the look, feel and meaning of it. I did it myself and found it to be a great excercise - I wrote about the quilt on the end of our bed, which was made by Taylor's grandmother, and it turned into a lovely little written piece.

    ReplyDelete